Did you know there are 89+ million servers globally, and the US accounts for 53% of them? Servers are crucial for online apps and websites since they offer programs and data that end user requires through a network. Now, how do servers work? Servers are different because they serve varied functions. The common ones are cloud, dedicated, and shared servers.
A dedicated server offers a single client exclusive network, software, and hardware control. It differs from other servers since it doesn’t host multiple clients on the same virtual machine.
In this guide, we will discuss one type, the dedicated server. We will look at what is a server and how does it work. We will also look at what’s dedicated server hosting, network connection, server management, how to set up a server, use cases, and benefits. The goal is to help you have an in-depth understanding of how dedicated servers can assist you in achieving business objectives.
Table of Content
- What Is a Dedicated Server?
- How Dedicated Servers Work
- How to Set Up a Dedicated Server
- Benefits of a Dedicated Server
- Use Cases of Dedicated Servers
What Is a Dedicated Server?
It is a hosting platform that provides complete control over hardware that isn’t shared with other users. The user gets exclusive access to the bandwidth and hardware of the server. It helps secure a user app or site and ensures flexibility and optimal performance.
What is Dedicated Server Hosting?
It is a hosting service that lets users hire a server for exclusive use. The good thing is you choose all the server specifications that suit your preferences. In addition, you get admin control of your server, where you can maintain and manage it.
What are the Different Management Types for Dedicated Hosting?
There are two common types of dedicated hosting which depend on your provider:
You are responsible for software installation, security updates, regular troubleshooting, and backups here. You’re in control of your server flexibility and risk. This type of hosting is ideal for more experienced users. They have the technical skills to maintain and manage these servers without the provider’s assistance.
Here, the provider takes more responsibility for managing and maintaining the admin tasks. On the other hand, the user has limitations on what they can do, but they can still customize some available options. This type of hosting is ideal for beginners who need a provider’s expertise in server management and maintenance.
How Dedicated Servers Work
These dedicated servers are single-tenant physical machines exclusive to an app, company, or single user. The term “rented” shows you don’t share or split its resources with other users. It gives you all the customization, security, and flexibility your app or website needs for optimal performance.
1. Dedicated Resources: The Hallmark of a Dedicated Server
They are the physical parts of a server that are exclusive to a user, and common examples are the CPU, RAM, IP address, disk space, and bandwidth. The good thing about dedicated resources is that you don’t have to worry about the following:
- Lag or downtime during peak traffic
- Vulnerabilities like data breach
- Software incompatibility or integration issues
- Scalability limitations
2. Server Management: Control and Customization
It is the maintenance and administration of a server’s performance. Users have control over server management through dedicated servers since they have admin access. In addition, users can customize their servers by picking software, configuration, access levels, and security settings depending on their needs. Server management allows you to:
- Update, remove, or install software on your server
- Troubleshoot, optimize, or configure your server capacity
- Monitor and secure your server data
- Revoke server access permissions and rights
3. The Role of Network Connection in Dedicated Servers
A network connection is a link between a server and the internet that enables data transmission between a server and its end-users. Dedicated servers rely on a good network connection to deliver fast and consistent service.
How to Set Up a Dedicated Server
The process of setting up a dedicated work server is simple. Usually, a hosting provider will offer help and assistance. However, here are some steps you can follow:
Step 1: Choose a Server
It is the first step, and you must factor in your budget because you will need powerful specs. Your server’s specs will influence the dedicated server’s overall capacity and reliability. So, what do you look for?
- Capacity: Choose a server that can handle your website or application’s traffic and workload without compromising speed or stability.
- Scalable: Consider a server that can grow with your needs.
- Integration: Pick a server compatible with your website or application’s software and configuration requirements.
- Budget: You should choose a server that fits your budget while offering the best value for money.
Step 2: Select a Management Level
Selecting a management level is ideal for users with technical skills. Here you will know what type of support the hosting provider will provide.
Factors to consider include:
- Responsibility: If you choose unmanaged hosting, you will be responsible for all aspects of server administration. As such, choose a management level that matches your responsibility and risk.
- Flexibility: The management level you choose should match your flexibility and control over your server. Managed hosting gives you some control over your server. However, there are also some restrictions and limitations.
- Customer support: Select the management level that best suits your server’s support and assistance needs. You will receive 24/7 assistance from the hosting provider if you choose managed hosting.
- Cost: Select an appropriate management level for your server based on your cost expectations. Managed hosting is usually more expensive than unmanaged hosting but includes more technical skills and knowledge.
Step 3: Choose an Operating System
Choose an OS from popular providers like Linux or Windows. When you install the OS, it runs your dedicated server and all the programs.
Here’s what to look out for:
- Compatibility: Is the operating system compatible with your application or website software requirements? Take time and check the software compatibility of your operating system before choosing it.
- Reliability: Choose a stable and reliable operating system to ensure performance and functionality.
- Protection: Ensure the operating system you choose has robust security features. This will protect your server from unauthorized access, malware, and other threats.
Step 4: Log on to Your Server
Use an RDP or SSH to log on to your server. These are secure connections on either Windows servers or Linux. Through them, you access your server command line, and here is how you achieve that:
Step 5: Secure Your Server
In this step, you’ll need to implement varied protection protocols. You will need to update your OS as well as install malware protection.
To do this, check for any system updates and install them. This allows you to resolve any vulnerabilities that may jeopardize your server’s security. Next, install antivirus and firewall software on your server to protect it from unauthorized access.
To prevent unauthorized access, your server should have strong passwords. You can also establish separate user accounts for different purposes and assign suitable rights and roles to them.
Step 6: Install the Software You Need
Once you have installed your OS, you can start installing software. There are three main ways to install software on a dedicated server:
- Sourcing your OS from official sites: Download the software you need from the official websites or repositories of the developers. Ensure you verify the authenticity and integrity of the downloaded files before installing.
- Install through package installers: Many operating systems come with package installers/managers that install software. This software installation is convenient since the package manager will automatically download and install all the necessary dependencies.
- Use a source code to compile: Collect the software you need from the code the developers or vendors provide. This allows you to customize the software according to your needs and preferences.
Benefits of a Dedicated Server
Here are some of the benefits of a dedicated work server:
Performance is one of the standout benefits of a work server. You enjoy fast speeds, flexibility, and efficiency.
- Quick response times: Dedicated servers offer fast response times because resources are not shared among users.
- Output: These servers process more data than shared servers because they have more disk space and capacity.
- Reliability: Dedicated servers also have higher availability than shared servers because they are less likely to malfunction due to overloading or errors.
You get exclusive privacy and security for your site data. Here is how a server works to improve security measures:
- Encryption: A dedicated server can encrypt its data using methods such as SSL, TLS, SSH, or VPN.
- Verification: It can also authenticate users using protocols, such as passwords, keys, certificates, tokens, and biometrics
- Access permit: It can authorize its users using various methods, such as user accounts, roles, groups, and policies.
- Log audit: A dedicated server can audit its activities using various tools, such as logs, reports, alerts
It is the third benefit, and here is why it’s crucial. You get the freedom to personalize the server to your liking. You can customize:
- OS: This server can run any operating system compatible with hardware and software requirements.
- Software: It can install any software that is compatible with its OS and configuration requirements, such as web servers
- Configuration: It can configure any aspect of its performance or functionality, such as firewall rules
- Security setting: It can set up any security settings that suit its standards and requirements, such as encryption.
4. Testing and Development
You can try new programs on your server. Note that this will not affect any live website. You will be able to improve the following:
- Fix errors
- Run tests
- Seamless backup
Versatility allows you to use your server for various purposes beyond hosting websites or applications. This makes them a good choice for businesses and individuals who need a reliable and secure server for their specific needs.
6. Speed and SEO
Dedicated servers offer faster speeds than shared servers because they have dedicated resources. This means that your website or application will load faster for visitors, which can improve your SEO ranking.
Use Cases of Dedicated Servers
Dedicated servers are versatile and powerful hosting solutions that you can use for various purposes. Depending on your website or application’s needs and goals, you can benefit from the advantages of dedicated servers. So, how do servers work, and what are some common use cases of dedicated servers:
1. More Than a Million Website Visits
If your website receives over a million monthly visits, you need a dedicated server to handle such high traffic. The server will ensure fast loading times, high availability, and a smooth user experience for your visitors.
You need a dedicated server if your website does online transactions and holds sensitive client data. This ensures strong security and compliance standards.
3. WordPress Development
Does your website create or test new themes and plugins for WordPress? If so, you need a dedicated server for complete control and customization options. A dedicated server will provide root access, flexibility, testing, and development tools and methods to improve your functionality.
Several types of servers are available to you, depending on your business goals. However, understanding how a server works is crucial, and here is why. You can decide on the ideal hosting provider for your business website. One thing to note is that choosing a dedicated server offers better features and benefits.
Why Choose RedSwitches for Your Dedicated Server Needs?
At RedSwitches, we provide dedicated servers that are reliable for your website. Our hardware is high quality to ensure that they perform optimally. So, if you need a trusted provider, we are your best bet.
Some of our other packs are guidance depending on your server requirements, customer support, and round-the-clock assistance. We also have flexible packages that are pocket friendly, even for a beginner.
Now that you know how do servers work, don’t wait until something happens to your valuable data. Contact us today, and we can help you get started with custom dedicated servers suitable for your business.
Q1. Why Use a Dedicated Server?
It gives the user the flexibility of customizing their server to their needs. It is ideal for experienced users since they know how to run them.
Q2. What Is the Difference Between a Server and a Dedicated Server?
A dedicated server is exclusive to a single user. On the other hand, a regular server gets shared by multiple clients.
Q3. Do Dedicated Servers Use GPU?
Yes, a GPU is a crucial component of a dedicated server. It allows for fast processing of tasks since it helps the server run efficiently.
Q4. What Is a Disadvantage of a Dedicated Server?
The most significant disadvantage of dedicated servers is their costs. They can be costly to run since you will pay for the entire infrastructure alone.